Friday 6 June 2014

A visit to the founders of Day Birger et Mikkelsen

House tour: Day Birger et Mikkelsen


There is a reason why I chose this particular house tour today. This morning I woke up shortly before five and realised that our home was filled with light. I got up and went into a bedroom across the landing to look at an extraordinary yellow-pinkish sunrise beyond the green area behind the house. It has been so cloudy lately that I had almost forgotten the beauty of sunrise. I went back to bed and right before falling back to sleep this top photo came to my mind. My today's blog post was decided.

This beautiful house in Kerteminde, on the island of Funen (Danish: Fyn), belongs to Marianne Brandi and Keld Mikkelsen, the founders of the Danish brand Day Birger et Mikkelsen. The house tour is from 2007 and it is one of those that I regularly go back to because it leaves me inspired every time. (I don't know if they still own this house but they have a few homes; one in Hellerup, north of Copenhagen (on the island of Zealand or Sjælland) that was featured in the December 2012 issue of Lonny).


There is so much here that grabs my attention but mainly it is the relaxed atmosphere that appeals to me the most and how the house seems filled with light. Every room looks inviting. The rooms are decorated but not overly so. I like the effects of the neutral coloured wall paint and how it contrasts the white windows and shiny black floors. I'm also drawn to the art pieces, especially the large painting by Lise Malinovsky in the bottom photo. The outdoor living area, or what the Danes call havestue is simply stunning. Please follow the fyens.dk link below for more images.

Have a wonderful weekend!


photo credit:
Nils Mogensen Svalebøg for fyens.dk (some images via Annehem + Northern Light)

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful and artsy home. And oh do I love all the greenery there!! Have a happy weekend my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there something more beautiful than the summer sunrise? This is a wonderful, elegant and inviting home.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment appears on the blog after approval. Comments with commercial links are reported as spam.