Wednesday 4 April 2012

got any books?


As a lover of books I'm always interested in seeing how people arrange them and I cannot imagine a home without books. That look in the top photo with bookshelves extending from floor to ceiling is something I'd love to have in my future home - I have a crush on that reading nook. I love it when the ceiling is so high that you have a reason to add a ladder to reach the books in the top shelves. Add a fireplace to that equation and my knees go weak.

I like my books where I can see them, I need them to be accessible, and I like to have a few of them spread around the home, on a coffee table, end tables, etc. I think there is only one way of storing books that I cannot stand and that is arranging them in shelves by colour. I can't even look at it.

What about you, how do you arrange your books? If you arrange them by colour you can say so, I won't bite.

photo credit:

9 comments:

  1. Two lovely *book spaces*!

    My books are everywhere in the house.
    Just like you described!

    ♥ Franka

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love a home full of books. I have books on a low cabinet that stretches across a wall in the living room - so there is plenty of space for books and magazines - the magazines are stacked in date order of course! All handy for me to pick up and flick through. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've touched a sensitive cord, Lisa. I never get enough of photos with bookshelves and I always rearrange mine: I have two: one in the living room and the other one in my home office. But there is a coffee table too and the bedroom night stands. :) You know books play an important part in my life. And home, apparently. But I never arrange them by colour, but by field of interest. Love the second image especially. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Books, glorious books! I couldn’t imagine not being surrounded by all my favourite books, they bring me so much joy and comfort. We have a very small house so books dominate each room – at the moment they are arranged in 2 full-to-bursting bookcases behind the sofa. I must admit that I quite like books arranged by colour but I would never have the time or patience to do that myself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our home is full of books so many we have no where near enough shelves to put them on, another handyman project once the house is painted!
    I love books so much, just to look at them is so comforting:)
    The arrangements vary from topic to authors and sometimes colour matching!!!!!
    Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I collect books (vintage mainly...with dust jackets hmm) of various authors, so I usually try and have a shelf per author...sort of...it's a bit of a mess really.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. this reminds me i need more bookshelf space!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love having books in my room! So far, they aren't very organised apart from by series, but I am thinking of arranging them by colour! It just looks really good in a room I think :) x

    Kate {Something Fabulous}
    http://thesomethingfabulous.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is what I need in my life: a chaise longue and a library. Throw in a pot of green tea and I'll be there!

    ReplyDelete

Your comment appears on the blog after approval. Comments with commercial links are reported as spam.